Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Knitted Christening Gown, pt. 5

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." - Ursula K. LeGuin

I really can't believe this project is finally finished, but it is. The knitting, the assembling, the lace, the buttons - it's all done.
The above quotation captures my attitude towards knitting quite well: the reason I love to embark on harder and harder projects that promise to take a long time to finish is not because I really have to have [enter fashionable knitted item here], but rather because I love to work on my knitting expertise, learn new stitches, and do the best job I can. Also, I love to bless others by making unique, lovely things that you just can't find in stores. So, as long as I don't develop arthritis in my hands, and can always have access to yarn and needles, Lord willing, I hope to keep this up for most of my life. It's one of those hobbies that gets under your skin and never goes away.

So, without more ado, here are pictures of the finished gown (click on the pics to make them larger):

The Gown

The Gown again, with better lighting

close-up of the bodice 

The buttons I sewed on to the shoulders are shaped like little daisies, similar to the yellow daisies I embroidered on to the gown.  

the hem, with lace sewn on


one of the sleeves, with lace on the cuff

... so ends one of the most difficult, most beautiful projects I've ever made. This was a labor of love, since the learning curve for this project was almost vertical. If I were to make another, I'm pretty sure it would take half to one-fourth of the time this one took. And what's more, I'm done well before Baby Crain is due. I'm sure the Crains will get good use out of this, and will definitely be able to pass it down to their children :-)

The End

P.S. If anyone is interested, or knows of someone in the market for an heirloom-quality christening gown, I am accepting orders. Be advised: the absolute minimum price is US$200 (shipping only within the U.S.).

2 comments:

  1. I am VERY interested in a gown! I've been looking everywhere! Please tell me how I can order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just sent an email to the address listed on your profile - hope to hear from you soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete